Bl. Stanley Rother was accepted as a seminarian and began his studies at Assumption Seminary.
Cathedral of the Diocese of Augsburg. St. Peter Canisius was appointed the "cathedral preacher" here in 1559.
In Italian, Santuario di Nostra Signora delle Grazie e Santa Maria Goretti. The church houses the remains of St. Maria Goretti, and what is believed to be the statue of Our Lady of Grace. The remains of St. Maria Goretti lie in the crypt beneath the basilica. The bones are encased in a wax statue; she is not incorrupt. The church contains a statue called Our Lady of Grace, which may be the original statue from Ipswich. Our Lady of Ipswich, along with Our Lady of Walsingham, was one of the largest pilgrimage sites in England up until the Reformation. During this period, Our Lady of Grace may have been smuggled to Italy. In modern times, the faithful hold a procession with the statue on the first Saturday each May.
In December 1531, the Virgin Mary appeared to St. Juan Diego and his uncle. The miraculous image imprinted on Juan Diego's tilma is on display at the Basilica of Our Lady of Guadalupe, which is the most-visited Catholic shrine in the world.
Magnificent papal basilica dating from the 4th century, with tomb of St Paul & elegant cloisters. Destroyed by fire in 1823, it was rebuilt and reconsecrated in 1854. Portraits of all the popes line the nave.
Site of the martyrdom of St. Lawrence, grilled to death. His relics are here, along with the relics of St. Stephen and St. Justin Martyr. Pope Pius IX is also buried here. This is one of the seven churches of Rome.
One of the seven pilgrim churches of Rome, the current church was built in 1714. The catacombs of St. Sebastian are nearby. St. Sebastian is below one of the side altars. One of the arrows that struck him and the column he was tied to are also here. Christ's footprints from when he met St. Peter on the Via Appia (Quo Vadis, Domine?) are here, as is a bust of Christ, which was Bernini's last sculpture.
Completed in 565 AD, the basilica was built over the believed burial site of St. John the Apostle. According to legend, St. John (as the Beloved Disciple) took the Virgin Mary to Ephesus in her final years, and [her possible house](/places/tr-ephesus-house-of-the-virgin-mary) overlooks the ancient city of Ephesus. Today the ruins are part of the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Ephesus.
The Basilica of St. Therese of Lisieux is the second-largest pilgrimage site in France after Lourdes, dedicated to one of the most popular saints of modern times.
featuredSite of the martyrdom of St. Afra and burial place of Sts. Afra, Ulrich (the first canonized saint) and Simpert (778-807).
This basilica is built on traditional burial site of Saint Vincent, a young deacon martyred for his faith in the 4th century under the reign of Diocletian. The church houses his relics and those of fellow martyrs Sts. Sabina and Cristeta.
This Basilica is a shrine in rememberance of the Vietnamese Martyrs, St. Andrew Dung-Lac and Companions killed during the persecution of the Christians in Vietnam in the 18th and 19th century.
Here St. Maria Goretti was born on October 16, 1890.
The shrine was dedicated on February 17, 2023 with the Most Rev. Paul S. Coakley, Archbishop of Oklahoma City presiding. The service was attended by 37 bishops, 147 priests, and hundreds of other religious and pilgrims.
40,000 tombs line the 13km of tunnels in these catacombs. Some of those buried here include Pope Marcellinus, Pope Marcellus, Pope Sylvester, Felix and Philip, Pudenziana, and Praxedes, and Maurus and Simetrius. These catacombs also include the oldest depiction of the Virgin and Child, with the prophet Balaam.
Ancient publicly-accessible catacombs, named after St. Sebastian, who was buried here.
According to ancient Christian tradition, Mary appeared to the apostle James the Greater as he was preaching in Spain. In 40 AD, while facing severe discouragement, St. James was praying on the banks of the Ebro River when the Blessed Mother appeared to him on a column, encouraging him to persevere in his missionary efforts. This apparition is unique because Mary would have bilocated while still alive in Jerusalem or Ephesus.
Catherine Laboure, a novitiate in the order of the Sisters of Charity, received various visions of St. Vincent de Paul and of Jesus present in the Eucharist, before also experiencing two apparitions of the Blessed Virgin Mary. In the first vision, 1830, Catherine was told of the impending travails of France and of an unspecified future mission. Several months later she received a message detailing the designs for a medal, later known as the Miraculous Medal, now reproduced over a billion times and distributed around the world. The apparition was investigated in 1836 and later approved. St. Catherine worked for 46 more years in hospices of her Order tending to the aged and infirmed, and is now known as the patroness of seniors. Her body currently lies incorrupt at the site of the apparition in Paris (immediate right side of the altar), alongside St. Louise de Marillac (left of the altar) and the heart of St. Vincent de Paul (furthest right).
17th-century Roman Catholic church with trompe l'oeil ceilings & frescoes depicting St Ignatius. The Jesuits did not have enough money for a dome, so there is a fake dome painted on the ceiling. Sts. Aloysius Gonzaga, John Berchmans, and Robert Belarmine are all buried here. From next to St. Aloysius' altar in the church, there is a stairway leading to his rooms, as well as the rooms of St. John Berchmans.
International headquarters of the Congregation of Clerks Regular, Ministers of the Sick also known as Camilliani or Camillians. St. Camillus de Lellis purchased the property for his new order. The church, dedicated to St. Mary Magdelene, houses St. Camillus' relics, as well as the miraculous crucifix that embraced him on his death bed. Built on the ancient Field of Mars
This 17th-century church, run by the Discalced Carmelites, marks the spot where St Teresa of Avila is believed to have been born. The church houses a museum dedicated to her life and works.
This was the Gorettis' parish church when they lived in Corinaldo. Here Luigi and Assunta Goretti were married and St. Maria Goretti baptized. The font where she was baptized is still preserved in the church.
Bl. Stanley Rother ministered to the native Tz'utujil people of Guatemala for years at St. James the Apostle church, on the shores of Lake Atitlan. He was martyred in the rectory on July 28, 1981.
Church in the town of St. John of the Cross's birth
This church, aside from being incredibly beautiful, is where Bl. Miguel Pro's remains are kept, to the right of the main altar. His funeral procession passed in front of this church, though we are not sure if he had a funeral here.
The fifteenth of 17 communities founded by St. Teresa of Avila, in 1581.
St. John of the Cross founded the convent in 1588 and led the community as prior until 1591. His head and body are located in a side chapel. Although no longer an active monastery, the site serves as a sanctuary for spiritual exercises. Pope St. John Paul II visited the site in 1982.
The eigth of 17 communities founded by St. Teresa of Avila, in 1571, and also the place of her death in 1582. Today the main altarpiece houses St. Teresa's incorrupt heart and arm.
The eleventh of 17 communities founded by St. Teresa of Avila, in 1575. This convent does not appear open to the public.
The last of 17 communities founded by St. Teresa of Avila, in 1582.
The first of 17 communities founded by St. Teresa of Avila, in 1562. Visitors can explore the church, cloister, and St. Teresa's cell, now a chapel dedicated to prayer.
The twelvth of 17 communities founded by St. Teresa of Avila, in 1576.
The sixteenth of 17 communities founded by St. Teresa of Avila, in 1582. Co-founded with St. John of the Cross.
The third of 17 communities founded by St. Teresa of Avila, in 1568.
The second of 17 communities founded by St. Teresa of Avila, in 1567, and also where she met and influenced St. John of the Cross. Now houses a museum.
The ninth of 17 communities founded by St. Teresa of Avila, in 1574.
The fifth of 17 communities founded by St. Teresa of Avila, in 1569.
The thirteenth of 17 communities founded by St. Teresa of Avila, in 1580.
The fourth of 17 communities founded by St. Teresa of Avila, in 1568.
The sixth of 17 communities founded by St. Teresa of Avila, in 1569. St. John of the Cross may have written his *Dark Night of the Soul* and *Ascent of Mount Carmel* here. In 1836 the convent was confiscated by the Spanish government, but in 1855 was reoccupied by Conceptionist Franciscan nuns. Today it serves as a Conceptionist convent and Teresan museum.
Museum of the Diocese of Augsburg, featuring vestments and other items owned by St. Ulrich. Also presents history of Sts. Afra and Simpert, also of the Diocese of Augsburg.
This church is the final resting place for St. Maria Goretti's mother, Assunta, and her repentant murderer, Alessandro Serenelli. There is also a relic of Maria's arm here.
Here St. Maria Goretti lived with her family and where she was martyred, stabbed by Alessandro Serenelli. She died the next day in a hospital in Nettuno. Today it is a museum.
Bl. Stanley Rother was a parishioner at Holy Trinity Catholic Church, where he received his sacraments and studied at Holy Trinity Catholic School.
An inn of court dating back to before 1422. St. Thomas More was a member of this inn.
According to tradition, when the architect failed to provide a way to get to the new choir loft, the architecturally-impressive spiral staircase was built by St. Joseph himself.
Marker to commemorate that St. Thomas More was born near this spot.
This cathedral is the reputed burial place of Saint James the Great, one of the twelve apostles. According to tradition, his tomb was rediscovered in 814 AD by St. Pelagius the Hermit. One of the most famous pilgrimage destinations in the world, it lies at the end of the Camino de Santiago, or Way of St. James. Today the church is the centerpiece of the larger Santiago de Compostela UNESCO World Heritage Site.
The 11th of the 21 California missions, founded in 1787. The mission is no longer an active church, but part of a state park which seeks to accurately replicate mission life.
The 13th of the 21 California missions, founded in 1791.
The 3rd of the 21 California missions, founded in 1771.
The 9th of the 21 California missions, founded in 1782.
The 2nd of the 21 California missions, founded in 1770, and the site of St. Junipero Serra's death. His remains are located southeast of the altar.
The 1st of the 21 California missions, founded in 1769.
The 17th of the 21 California missions, founded in 1797.
The 6th of the 21 California missions, founded in 1776.
The 21st of the 21 California missions, founded in 1823. The mission only remained so for 11 years before being secularized. The Bear Flag Revolt of June 14, 1816 occurred directly across from the mission, declaring California a republic. Today the mission is part of a public park.
The 4th of the 21 California missions, founded in 1771.
The 14th of the 21 California missions, founded in 1797.
The 15th of the 21 California missions, founded in 1797.
The 7th of the 21 California missions, founded in 1776.
The 5th of the 21 California missions, founded in 1772.
The 18th of the 21 California missions, founded in 1798. It is attached to the Franciscan community of the same name.
The 16th of the 21 California missions, founded in 1797.
The 20th of the 21 California missions, founded in 1817.
The 10th of the 21 California missions, founded in 1786.
The 8th of the 21 California missions, founded in 1777.
The 12th of the 21 California missions, founded in 1791.
The 19th of the 21 California missions, founded in 1804. In 1924 the Capucin Friars were given responsibility of this mission.
The seventh of 17 communities founded by St. Teresa of Avila in 1578. Its secluded setting reflects her desire for a life dedicated to prayer and contemplation. As noted on the official site - the Carmelite Desert, more than a geographical place, is an interior experience of solitude and contemplation. The monastery accepts pilgrims looking for a contemplative retreat. Guests are invited to participate in community prayers.
The tenth of 17 communities founded by St. Teresa of Avila, in 1575.
The first monastery established by St. John of the Cross and Fr. Antonio of Jesus in 1568, using a small farmhouse which had been donated to St. Teresa of Avila. Soon the community outgrew the building, and moved to Mancera de Abajo in 1570, then Avila in 1600.
Founded in 1478, this Carmelite convent in Avila was where Saint Teresa entered as a young woman and lived for 27 years. She took her vows here and began her journey as a mystic and reformer. The monastery features her cell, the Chapel of Transverberation and a museum dedicated to her life. St. John of the Cross spent notable amounts of time here as well, and during one session of prayer, received a vision of Christ on the Cross from "above." The saint's drawing remains at the museum.
Bl. Stanley Rother completed his studies at Mount Saint Mary's Seminary and was ordained a priest on May 25, 1963.
This museum contains many of Bl. Miguel Pro's personal belongings, including cassocks, vestments, the suit he was shot in, and the cot where he slept the night before his martyrdom. The location of Fr. Pro's arrest appears to be unknown, but the location of his martyrdom is known.
In 1591, St. John of the Cross died here, the site of a former monastery. Today, there is a chapel housing his relics (a hand and leg) and a museum related to his life.
Our Lady of Revelation appeared in this grotto next to Tre Fontane in the 1947 to Bruno Cornacchiola, a communist, seventh-day adventist, and would-be assasin of Pope Pius XII.
Basilica dedicated to Our Lady of Victory, built by Venerable Nelson Baker. His body is kept in the basilica, within the grotto shrine to Our Lady of Lourdes. The grotto is made out of lava rock from Mount Vesuvius.
Benoite Rencurel, a poor shepherdess, received apparitions from the Virgin Mary from 1664 until her death in 1718. During the apparitions, the Blessed Mother asked for a church and a house for priests to be built, with the intent of drawing people to greater conversion, especially through the sacrament of penance. The holy site now draws 120,000 pilgrims annually, and is associated with numerous physical healings.
In a series of apparitions in 1858, the Virgin Mary appeared to St. Bernadette Soubirous. The stream of holy water which St. Bernadette uncovered has become a well-known source of healing, and Lourdes is now a major pilgrimage destination.
While tending sheep in a field called the Cova de Iria, Lucia de Santos (aged 10) and her two cousins, Francisco and Jacinta Marto, reported six apparitions of Mary, who identified herself as "Our Lady of the Rosary." Mary urged prayer of the rosary, penance for the conversion of sinners and consecration of Russia to her Immaculate Heart.
St. Joseph Vaz was a priest form Goa, India, who became a missionary in Ceylon (now Sri Lanka), preaching to the abandoned Catholics in a largely Buddhist country. This shrine is located in the city of his birth.
Home of the Bocca della Verita, which according to popular myth will bite off the hand of any liar who sticks his hand into its mouth. The relics of a martyr, St. Cyrilla, are here. There is also a dubious relic of St. Valentine. The church today belongs to the Melkites (who are Catholic, by the way).
Built on the site of the Mohawk village of Ossernenon, where Sts. Isaac Jogues, Rene Goupil, and Jean de Lalande were martyred, and where St. Kateri Tekakwitha was born.
At this site, where an outdoor short stairway stands on the lottery building, is the site where Bl. Miguel Pro was martyred by firing squad. These buildings were all built since that time.
Prison that held, among others, Charles Dickens' father. Saints and blesseds held here include Ralph Sherwin, John Griffith, Anne Line, William Exmew, John Storey, Everard Hanse, William Filby, and Thomas Cottam. Today this alley features images and quotes from one of Charles Dickens' books that featured the prison.
Tyburn Tree was the name of the gallows where many Catholic martyrs were hung, drawn, and quartered or hung until dead. The saints, blesseds, and venerables who died on this site include John Houghton, Robert Lawrence, Augustine Webster, Richard Reynolds, Ralph Sherwin, Alexander Briant, Luke Kirby, Margaret Ward, Eustace White, Polydore Plasden, Thomas Garnet, John Roberts, John Almond, Bartholomew Roe, Henry Morse, John Southworth, Oliver Plunkett, John Haile (or Hale), William Exmew, Humphrey Middlemore, Sebastian Newdigate, Robert Johnson, William Filby, Lawrence Richardson, Thomas Cottam, John Storey, Thomas Woodhouse, John Nelson, Thomas Sherwood, Everard Hanse, William Horne, John Larke and German Gardiner. Down the street to the west is Tyburn Convent.
The fourteenth of 17 communities founded by St. Teresa of Avila, in 1580. It is likely the original convent is no longer in existence, though a church remains.
The "Tent of Pardon" is the site where, [according to the National Catholic Register](https://www.ncregister.com/blog/in-the-footsteps-of-st-maria-goretti), St. Maria Goretti lay dying in Nettuno. It was here that she forgave her murderer, and may also be the place of her death.
Oldest Catholic church in Arkansas, originally built on a barge in the Arkansas River in 1782 to combat the threat of flooding by the river. The cemetery behind the church is the final resting place for Mother Agnes Hart, a nun whose body was later found to be incorrupt.
Vincentian church housing the relics of Sts. Vincent de Paul and Jean-Gabriel Perboyre. St. Vincent de Paul's heart is nearby at the more famous [Miraculous Medal Chapel](/places/fr-paris-chapel-of-our-lady-of-the-miraculous-medal).
A statue of St. Maria Goretti in Nettuno, the town where she died.
Officially Church of St Paul at the Martyrdom, this church is located within a Cistercian (strict observance) abbey. The name "Tre Fontane" refers to the three fountains the church is built over. Tradition says that this is the spot where St. Paul was beheaded. His head bounced three times. Each place it bounced, a fountain sprang up. Note that there are three churches at this monastery. The church of Tre Fontane is the one furthest back.
Convent near Tyburn Tree, containing the relics of dozens of English martyrs. The order is Foundress of the Adorers of the Sacred Heart of Jesus of Montmartre, Order of Saint Benedict, who are dedicated to perpetual adoration. The foundress of the order, Servant of God Mother Marie Adèle Garnier (1838-1924), is also buried here.
Last remaining part of the medieval Palace of Westminster. The floor includes a plaque commemorating the trial of St. Thomas More, which took place here. He also served as a member of parliament in this hall. Other saints who faced trial and conviction here include Ralph Sherwin, Edmund Campion, Oliver Plunkett, William Exmew, John Shert, and Robert Johnson.