Actively-operating churches, basilicas and other places of worship which have particular significance in Catholic church history.
Bl. Stanley Rother was accepted as a seminarian and began his studies at Assumption Seminary.
Cathedral of the Diocese of Augsburg. St. Peter Canisius was appointed the "cathedral preacher" here in 1559.
Construction on the cathedral first began in the 12th century and continued up until the 17th century. As part of the Old Town of Avila, it was inscribed as a UNESCO World Heritage site in 1985.
In 1866, Magdalene Kade, an orphaned 31 year woman bedridden due to many illnesses, received a vision of the Blessed Virgin Mary, who immediately cured her. A bishop's commission examined the miraculous event and recognized the healing and supernatural character. A church was built by 1885 and elevated to a minor basilica by Pope Leo XIII, who officially consecrated it and dedicated to Mary, "Help of Christians."
According to tradition, there have been multiple apparitions of the Blessed Virgin Mary at Velankanni, also known as Our Lady of Good Health. As tradition would have it, the first of many apparitions occured to a young boy who was delivering buttermilk.
In Italian, Santuario di Nostra Signora delle Grazie e Santa Maria Goretti. The church houses the remains of St. Maria Goretti, and what is believed to be the statue of Our Lady of Grace. The remains of St. Maria Goretti lie in the crypt beneath the basilica. The bones are encased in a wax statue; she is not incorrupt. The church contains a statue called Our Lady of Grace, which may be the original statue from Ipswich. Our Lady of Ipswich, along with Our Lady of Walsingham, was one of the largest pilgrimage sites in England up until the Reformation. During this period, Our Lady of Grace may have been smuggled to Italy. In modern times, the faithful hold a procession with the statue on the first Saturday each May.
In December 1531, the Virgin Mary appeared to St. Juan Diego and his uncle. The miraculous image imprinted on Juan Diego's tilma is on display at the Basilica of Our Lady of Guadalupe, which is the most-visited Catholic shrine in the world.
In 1798, many Christians took refuge in the Vietnamese jungle and prepared themselves for martyrdom. At night, they often gathered in small groups to pray the rosary. Unexpectedly, one night they were visited by an apparition of Our Blessed Mother in a long cape, holding a child in her arms, with two angels at her sides. She comforted them and told them to boil the leaves from the surrounding trees to use as medicine. She also told them that from that day on, all those who came to this place to pray, would have their prayers heard and answered. All those who were present witnessed this miracle.
According to legend, the Virgin Mary appeared in Licheń, Poland to Tomasz Klossowski, a wounded soldier, in 1813 who was healed and discovered a miraculous portrait of Our Lady. She then appeared to a poor shepherd, Mikolaj Sikatka, in 1850 who promoted her devotion. She foretold of a cholera epidemic and interceded for the healing of many who sought her help.
In 1630, a statue of the Immaculate Conception was being transported inland when its couriers overnighted near the Lujan River. The following morning, the wagon became unexplainably heavy and immovable until the statue was unloaded. Interpreting this as a sign, the patron and drivers left the statue there, where a chapel was built for pilgrims. Over time and with many healings, Lujan has become one of the most frequented pilgrimage destinations in the world.
Magnificent papal basilica dating from the 4th century, with tomb of St Paul & elegant cloisters. Destroyed by fire in 1823, it was rebuilt and reconsecrated in 1854. Portraits of all the popes line the nave.
Site of the martyrdom of St. Lawrence, grilled to death. His relics are here, along with the relics of St. Stephen and St. Justin Martyr. Pope Pius IX is also buried here. This is one of the seven churches of Rome.
One of the seven pilgrim churches of Rome, the current church was built in 1714. The catacombs of St. Sebastian are nearby. St. Sebastian is below one of the side altars. One of the arrows that struck him and the column he was tied to are also here. Christ's footprints from when he met St. Peter on the Via Appia (Quo Vadis, Domine?) are here, as is a bust of Christ, which was Bernini's last sculpture.
The Basilica of St. Therese of Lisieux is the second-largest pilgrimage site in France after Lourdes, dedicated to one of the most popular saints of modern times.
featuredSite of the martyrdom of St. Afra and burial place of Sts. Afra, Ulrich (the first canonized saint) and Simpert (778-807).
This basilica is built on traditional burial site of Saint Vincent, a young deacon martyred for his faith in the 4th century under the reign of Diocletian. The church houses his relics and those of fellow martyrs Sts. Sabina and Cristeta.
In 1578, a pious woodcutter named Tomasz Michałek saw a bright light in the forest. The Virgin asked him to alert the authorities to build a church. Thomas, scared, did nothing. The Virgin appeared again, asking him to take action and ending his silence. Thomas approached the authorities but was not believed. Under a subsequent priest, a small chapel was built, then a larger shrine in 1606. Today the shrine is part of a larger Bernardine monastery, and contains the image of Our Lady of Consolation.
In 1539, Our Blessed Mother appeared to a shepherdess on Mt. Skalnica, now called the Holy Mountain (Sveta Gora), and instructed her: "Tell the people, let them build me a house here and ask me for mercy." The shepherdess was imprisoned by the unbelieving secular authorities several times, but was always miraculously rescued.
This Basilica is a shrine in rememberance of the Vietnamese Martyrs, St. Andrew Dung-Lac and Companions killed during the persecution of the Christians in Vietnam in the 18th and 19th century.
One summer day, in 1608, a number of children were playing while tending their sheep in a field on the outskirts of the village of Siluva. They beheld a beautiful young woman standing on the rock holding a baby in her arms and weeping bitterly. The town which had lost its Catholic identity to the Calvinists over the course of 80 years was restored to the Faith.
Second oldest parish in the city of Dallas, but established when Oak Cliff was a separate city.
The shrine was dedicated on February 17, 2023 with the Most Rev. Paul S. Coakley, Archbishop of Oklahoma City presiding. The service was attended by 37 bishops, 147 priests, and hundreds of other religious and pilgrims.
In 47 AD, Our Lady appeared to a recent Christian convert, in a chapel built few years before on a high mountain. This woman was plagued by a serious illness and no doctor had been able to help. The Blessed Mother, during her appearance, completely cured her.
According to ancient Christian tradition, Mary appeared to the apostle James the Greater as he was preaching in Spain. In 40 AD, while facing severe discouragement, St. James was praying on the banks of the Ebro River when the Blessed Mother appeared to him on a column, encouraging him to persevere in his missionary efforts. This apparition is unique because Mary would have bilocated while still alive in Jerusalem or Ephesus.
Catherine Laboure, a novitiate in the order of the Sisters of Charity, received various visions of St. Vincent de Paul and of Jesus present in the Eucharist, before also experiencing two apparitions of the Blessed Virgin Mary. In the first vision, 1830, Catherine was told of the impending travails of France and of an unspecified future mission. Several months later she received a message detailing the designs for a medal, later known as the Miraculous Medal, now reproduced over a billion times and distributed around the world. The apparition was investigated in 1836 and later approved. St. Catherine worked for 46 more years in hospices of her Order tending to the aged and infirmed, and is now known as the patroness of seniors. Her body currently lies incorrupt at the site of the apparition in Paris (immediate right side of the altar), alongside St. Louise de Marillac (left of the altar) and the heart of St. Vincent de Paul (furthest right).
17th-century Roman Catholic church with trompe l'oeil ceilings & frescoes depicting St Ignatius. The Jesuits did not have enough money for a dome, so there is a fake dome painted on the ceiling. Sts. Aloysius Gonzaga, John Berchmans, and Robert Belarmine are all buried here. From next to St. Aloysius' altar in the church, there is a stairway leading to his rooms, as well as the rooms of St. John Berchmans.
International headquarters of the Congregation of Clerks Regular, Ministers of the Sick also known as Camilliani or Camillians. St. Camillus de Lellis purchased the property for his new order. The church, dedicated to St. Mary Magdelene, houses St. Camillus' relics, as well as the miraculous crucifix that embraced him on his death bed. Built on the ancient Field of Mars
This 17th-century church, run by the Discalced Carmelites, marks the spot where St Teresa of Avila is believed to have been born. The church houses a museum dedicated to her life and works.
This was the Gorettis' parish church when they lived in Corinaldo. Here Luigi and Assunta Goretti were married and St. Maria Goretti baptized. The font where she was baptized is still preserved in the church.
Bl. Stanley Rother ministered to the native Tz'utujil people of Guatemala for years at St. James the Apostle church, on the shores of Lake Atitlan. He was martyred in the rectory on July 28, 1981.
Church in the town of St. John of the Cross's birth
This church, aside from being incredibly beautiful, is where Bl. Miguel Pro's remains are kept, to the right of the main altar. His funeral procession passed in front of this church, though we are not sure if he had a funeral here.
The fifteenth of 17 communities founded by St. Teresa of Avila, in 1581.
St. John of the Cross founded the convent in 1588 and led the community as prior until 1591. His head and body are located in a side chapel. Although no longer an active monastery, the site serves as a sanctuary for spiritual exercises. Pope St. John Paul II visited the site in 1982.
The eigth of 17 communities founded by St. Teresa of Avila, in 1571, and also the place of her death in 1582. Today the main altarpiece houses St. Teresa's incorrupt heart and arm.
The eleventh of 17 communities founded by St. Teresa of Avila, in 1575. This convent does not appear open to the public.
The last of 17 communities founded by St. Teresa of Avila, in 1582.
The first of 17 communities founded by St. Teresa of Avila, in 1562. Visitors can explore the church, cloister, and St. Teresa's cell, now a chapel dedicated to prayer.
The twelvth of 17 communities founded by St. Teresa of Avila, in 1576.
The sixteenth of 17 communities founded by St. Teresa of Avila, in 1582. Co-founded with St. John of the Cross.
The third of 17 communities founded by St. Teresa of Avila, in 1568.
The second of 17 communities founded by St. Teresa of Avila, in 1567, and also where she met and influenced St. John of the Cross. Now houses a museum.
The ninth of 17 communities founded by St. Teresa of Avila, in 1574.
The fifth of 17 communities founded by St. Teresa of Avila, in 1569.
The thirteenth of 17 communities founded by St. Teresa of Avila, in 1580.
The fourth of 17 communities founded by St. Teresa of Avila, in 1568.
The sixth of 17 communities founded by St. Teresa of Avila, in 1569. St. John of the Cross may have written his *Dark Night of the Soul* and *Ascent of Mount Carmel* here. In 1836 the convent was confiscated by the Spanish government, but in 1855 was reoccupied by Conceptionist Franciscan nuns. Today it serves as a Conceptionist convent and Teresan museum.
The oldest church operating as a Catholic Church in the heart of London. This church was built as an act of reparation for the sins against the Sacrament that had been committed in the time of persecution, and was opened in 1874. Msgr. Ronald Knox preached here.
This church is the final resting place for St. Maria Goretti's mother, Assunta, and her repentant murderer, Alessandro Serenelli. There is also a relic of Maria's arm here.
In 1792, the Virgin Mary appeared to a blind man, advising him to bathe his eyes in a miraculous fountain. Upon his healing, a chapel was built and was eventually expanded to a larger church.
Founded and staffed by the Vincentians, who also staffed Trinity College/Dallas University across the street.
Bl. Stanley Rother was a parishioner at Holy Trinity Catholic Church, where he received his sacraments and studied at Holy Trinity Catholic School.
The Monastery of Jasna Gora in Częstochowa, Poland, is the third-largest Catholic pilgrimage site in the world. Home to the beloved miraculous icon of Our Lady of Częstochowa, the monastery is also the national shrine of Poland and a pillar of Polish Catholicism.
In 1879, 15 individuals witnessed the figures of Mary, Joseph, John the Evangelist, and a lamb and cross atop an altar, all enveloped in a bright light outside the local church. The imagery is unique to Knock and holds eschatological significance for Catholics.
According to tradition, when the architect failed to provide a way to get to the new choir loft, the architecturally-impressive spiral staircase was built by St. Joseph himself.
According to tradition, Our Lady appeared to a few shepherd children at Kuravilangad as they were tending their flock. She asked them to build a church at the place from where a miraculous perpetual spring sprouted, which exists even today. The children reported this matter to the elders and a church was built there.
This cathedral is the reputed burial place of Saint James the Great, one of the twelve apostles. According to tradition, his tomb was rediscovered in 814 AD by St. Pelagius the Hermit. One of the most famous pilgrimage destinations in the world, it lies at the end of the Camino de Santiago, or Way of St. James. Today the church is the centerpiece of the larger Santiago de Compostela UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Tradition dicates that the Blessed Mother showed herself to a middle-aged farmer and gave him a message on where she wanted her church to be built, appearing to him on a tree amidst a heavenly glow. Today the center of devotion is the miraculous image of Our Lady of the Holy Rosary (Nuestra Senora de Manaoag, or Apo Baket as known to the local townspeople).
The 13th of the 21 California missions, founded in 1791.
The 3rd of the 21 California missions, founded in 1771.
The 9th of the 21 California missions, founded in 1782.
The 2nd of the 21 California missions, founded in 1770, and the site of St. Junipero Serra's death. His remains are located southeast of the altar.
The 1st of the 21 California missions, founded in 1769.
The 17th of the 21 California missions, founded in 1797.
The 6th of the 21 California missions, founded in 1776.
The 4th of the 21 California missions, founded in 1771.
The 14th of the 21 California missions, founded in 1797.
The 15th of the 21 California missions, founded in 1797.
The 7th of the 21 California missions, founded in 1776.
The 5th of the 21 California missions, founded in 1772.
The 18th of the 21 California missions, founded in 1798. It is attached to the Franciscan community of the same name.
The 16th of the 21 California missions, founded in 1797.
The 20th of the 21 California missions, founded in 1817.
The 10th of the 21 California missions, founded in 1786.
The 8th of the 21 California missions, founded in 1777.
The 12th of the 21 California missions, founded in 1791.
The 19th of the 21 California missions, founded in 1804. In 1924 the Capucin Friars were given responsibility of this mission.
The seventh of 17 communities founded by St. Teresa of Avila in 1578. Its secluded setting reflects her desire for a life dedicated to prayer and contemplation. As noted on the official site - the Carmelite Desert, more than a geographical place, is an interior experience of solitude and contemplation. The monastery accepts pilgrims looking for a contemplative retreat. Guests are invited to participate in community prayers.
The tenth of 17 communities founded by St. Teresa of Avila, in 1575.
The first monastery established by St. John of the Cross and Fr. Antonio of Jesus in 1568, using a small farmhouse which had been donated to St. Teresa of Avila. Soon the community outgrew the building, and moved to Mancera de Abajo in 1570, then Avila in 1600.
Founded in 1478, this Carmelite convent in Avila was where Saint Teresa entered as a young woman and lived for 27 years. She took her vows here and began her journey as a mystic and reformer. The monastery features her cell, the Chapel of Transverberation and a museum dedicated to her life. St. John of the Cross spent notable amounts of time here as well, and during one session of prayer, received a vision of Christ on the Cross from "above." The saint's drawing remains at the museum.
Bl. Stanley Rother completed his studies at Mount Saint Mary's Seminary and was ordained a priest on May 25, 1963.
In 1754, an Indian mother and her deaf-mute daughter Rosa were caught in a strong storm and sought refuge in a canyon between the lajas. Rosa exclaimed with her first words "the mestiza is calling me," describing the figures of a woman and child. When returning later, the mother saw an apparition of Our Lady and Child. Some months later, Rosa died but returned to life when her mother prayed again at the cave. When the townspeople came to see, a miraculous image was burned into the rocks. In the image, the Madonna presents a rosary to St. Dominic, keeling at her right. Jesus gives a cord to St. Francis, kneeling to his left. Testing has shown the image to be of indeterminate origin. Geologists from Germany bored core samples from several spots in the image. There is no paint, no dye, nor any other pigment on the surface of the rock. The colors are the colors of the rock itself and run uniformly to a depth of several feet.
Originally dedicated to the Sacred Heart, this parish is the oldest in the city of Dallas. The parish merged with Our Lady of Guadalupe in the Little Mexico neighborhood (now Harwood) in 1965, and in 1977 the Cathedral was renamed in honor of Our Lady of Guadalupe. In 2023 the cathedral was elevated to a National Shrine by the US Conference fo Catholic Bishops.
In 1591, St. John of the Cross died here, the site of a former monastery. Today, there is a chapel housing his relics (a hand and leg) and a museum related to his life.
Benedictine abbey in the Solesmes Congregation, founded in 1999. The main church and abbey are still under construction. Men visiting the abbey can join the monks for meals and manual work in addition to Mass and the Divine Office. Women can also make retreats at the house on the abbey grounds.
Our Lady of Revelation appeared in this grotto next to Tre Fontane in the 1947 to Bruno Cornacchiola, a communist, seventh-day adventist, and would-be assasin of Pope Pius XII.
Basilica dedicated to Our Lady of Victory, built by Venerable Nelson Baker. His body is kept in the basilica, within the grotto shrine to Our Lady of Lourdes. The grotto is made out of lava rock from Mount Vesuvius.
A miraculous crucifix appearing in a field resulted in the construction of a chapel on this spot. The hole where the crucifix appeared is said to contain dirt that has healing properties similar to the water at Lourdes. Hundreds of thousands of pilgrims visit the shrine annually, which, according to Catholic World Report, makes it the most popular pilgrimage site in the United States.
According to tradition, this statue was brought to Italy from the Holy Land by Bishop Eusebius of Vercelli in the fourth century A.D. Bl. Pier Giorgio Frassati would also hike in this area. His family villa was nearby, and he would visit the shrine regularly.
In 1877, Our Lady appeared to Justyna Szafrynska (13) just before receiving her First Holy Communion. The next day, Barbara Samulowska (12) also saw the "Bright Lady" sitting on the throne with Infant Christ among angels. The Blessed Mother's ask of the girls was for them to pray the rosary daily.
In 1846, the Blessed Virgin Mary appeared to 11-year-old Maximin Giraud and 14-year-old Melanie Calvat-Mathieu while they tended sheep in a small French Alpine village. Her appearance in sorrow and tears called for conversion and repentance.
Benoite Rencurel, a poor shepherdess, received apparitions from the Virgin Mary from 1664 until her death in 1718. During the apparitions, the Blessed Mother asked for a church and a house for priests to be built, with the intent of drawing people to greater conversion, especially through the sacrament of penance. The holy site now draws 120,000 pilgrims annually, and is associated with numerous physical healings.
In a series of apparitions in 1858, the Virgin Mary appeared to St. Bernadette Soubirous. The stream of holy water which St. Bernadette uncovered has become a well-known source of healing, and Lourdes is now a major pilgrimage destination.
While tending sheep in a field called the Cova de Iria, Lucia de Santos (aged 10) and her two cousins, Francisco and Jacinta Marto, reported six apparitions of Mary, who identified herself as "Our Lady of the Rosary." Mary urged prayer of the rosary, penance for the conversion of sinners and consecration of Russia to her Immaculate Heart.
The Shrine of Our Lady of Valverde dates back to 1399, when Our Lady appeared to a farmer plowing his field. During the summer of 1711, when the province was hit by a severe epidemic, the inhabitants of Rezzato prayed to Our Lady of Valverde. On October 1, Our Lady appeared a second time to Paul Ogna, 8, and Francesco Pelizzari, 11, who went to collect chestnuts near the Sanctuary pond. Our Lady promised the end of the epidemic.
This church was originally founded in the 13th century by Cistercians from France. According to legend, around the year 1400, a merchant lost in the nearby swamps was led to the church by a figure he discerned to be Mary. Out of gratitude, he commissioned a statue which can be found in the church today. A regular visitor to the shrine was Karol Wojtyła, the future Pope St. John Paul II. In August 1963, in his capacity as Archbishop of Kraków, the statue slipped during a ceremony and the future pontiff caught the scepter which had fallen out of the statue's grasp. This scene was interpreted by many as a prophecy of his upcoming papacy.
In 1871, during the Franco-Prussian War, Mary appeared on a farm to students at the nearby convent school. Her message was written on a banner that unfurled from her feet: "But pray my children. God will hear you in a short time. My Son allows Himself to be moved by compassion."
St. Joseph Vaz was a priest form Goa, India, who became a missionary in Ceylon (now Sri Lanka), preaching to the abandoned Catholics in a largely Buddhist country. This shrine is located in the city of his birth.
Marie Alphonse Ratisbonne, an anti-Catholic Jew, befriended a baron in Rome and began wearing the [Miraculous Medal](/places/fr-paris-chapel-of-our-lady-of-the-miraculous-medal) as a simple test. On January 20, 1842, after entering the church of Sant'Andrea delle Fratte, Ratisbonne experienced a vision of the Blessed Virgin Mary. He converted to Catholicism, joined the priesthood, and began a ministry for the conversion of Jews.
Sister Agnes Sasagawa received visions of an angel and messages emanating from a wooden statue of Our Lady which wept 101 times, including one instance which was broadcast on Japanese national television in December 1973.
Between 1981 and 1989, the Virgin Mary appeared to several girls in Rwanda. She appeared to them with the name "Nyina wa Jambo" ("Mother of the Word"), synonymous with "Umubyeyl W'iamna" ("Mother of God"). Mary emphasized the call to pray the rosary and asked for penance and fasting. The three girls reported a vision foreshadowing the Rwandan Genocide which would occur just 13 years later, which would claim one of their lives.
Built on the site of the Mohawk village of Ossernenon, where Sts. Isaac Jogues, Rene Goupil, and Jean de Lalande were martyred, and where St. Kateri Tekakwitha was born.
The fourteenth of 17 communities founded by St. Teresa of Avila, in 1580. It is likely the original convent is no longer in existence, though a church remains.
Historic church in the former Port of Brussels, before the docks were covered over.
Founded by the Rt. Rev. Edward Joseph Dunne, bishop of Dallas, on Oct. 13, 1903, as the fourth parish in Dallas (Oak Cliff had just been annexed, so Blessed Sacrament was now in the Dallas city limits). The name of the parish and the name of the bishop are not coincidence. The founding pastor was the Rev. Joseph P. Lynch, who had been a priest for just 3 years. Within a few years he would become bishop of Dallas.
Oldest Catholic church in Arkansas, originally built on a barge in the Arkansas River in 1782 to combat the threat of flooding by the river. The cemetery behind the church is the final resting place for Mother Agnes Hart, a nun whose body was later found to be incorrupt.
A wealthy but childless Christian Roman couple wanted to appoint the Virgin Mary as heiress of their property. On the night of August 4, Mary appeared simultaneously to the couple and Pope Liberius, expressing the wish that a church be erected on Esquiline Hill. The morning of August 5, miraculous snow fell on a narrow piece of land, upon which the Church of Liberius was constructed. This Marian shrine was replaced in the fifth century with a great church named Santa Maria Maggiore, which is now one of the four major basilicas.
National church of Belgium. St. Gudula's relics were kept here until they were destroyed during the Reformation.
The first black parish in Dallas, founded in 1905, is now home to the area's Polish community.
Vincentian church housing the relics of Sts. Vincent de Paul and Jean-Gabriel Perboyre. St. Vincent de Paul's heart is nearby at the more famous [Miraculous Medal Chapel](/places/fr-paris-chapel-of-our-lady-of-the-miraculous-medal).
In the 13th century, Our Blessed Mother appeared to a condemned innocent person in his prison cell. Bringing him a piece of wood and a knife, she told him to carve an image of the Blessed Mother with Child. When he had done so, the jailers and judge were so moved they gave him back his freedom. In gratitude for the divine assistance, the man sought to place the sculpture near a linden tree along the road, as Mary had suggested. The present-day basilica was built next to this great linden tree, which was the site of many miracles and healings over the centuries. With the Prussian occupation of Poland, the sanctuary was defiled and the linden tree cut down. Upon Poland's independence, Jesuits were invited to renew the sanctuary, and it remains in beautiful condition to this day.
Officially Church of St Paul at the Martyrdom, this church is located within a Cistercian (strict observance) abbey. The name "Tre Fontane" refers to the three fountains the church is built over. Tradition says that this is the spot where St. Paul was beheaded. His head bounced three times. Each place it bounced, a fountain sprang up. Note that there are three churches at this monastery. The church of Tre Fontane is the one furthest back.
Convent near Tyburn Tree, containing the relics of dozens of English martyrs. The order is Foundress of the Adorers of the Sacred Heart of Jesus of Montmartre, Order of Saint Benedict, who are dedicated to perpetual adoration. The foundress of the order, Servant of God Mother Marie Adèle Garnier (1838-1924), is also buried here.
In 1968 Our Lady began appearing over St. Mary's Coptic Orthodox church in Zeitoun, Egypt. The church lies on the Matariya Road through which the Holy Family is traditionally known to have passed during their stay in Egypt. For three years Our Lady appeared on many occasions, taking many forms and sometimes accompanied by doves and other phenomena. It is estimated that 40 million people across a variety of faiths witnessed these events. The apparitions have been verified by both the Coptic Orthodox Church and the Roman Catholic Church through the Papal Residence in Cairo.