Holy sites in United States of America.
Bl. Stanley Rother was accepted as a seminarian and began his studies at Assumption Seminary.
Second oldest parish in the city of Dallas, but established when Oak Cliff was a separate city.
The shrine was dedicated on February 17, 2023 with the Most Rev. Paul S. Coakley, Archbishop of Oklahoma City presiding. The service was attended by 37 bishops, 147 priests, and hundreds of other religious and pilgrims.
The world's largest rosary collection is housed in the Columbia Gorge Interpretive Center Museum, collected over decades by a Catholic convert.
Founded and staffed by the Vincentians, who also staffed Trinity College/Dallas University across the street.
Bl. Stanley Rother was a parishioner at Holy Trinity Catholic Church, where he received his sacraments and studied at Holy Trinity Catholic School.
According to tradition, when the architect failed to provide a way to get to the new choir loft, the architecturally-impressive spiral staircase was built by St. Joseph himself.
The 11th of the 21 California missions, founded in 1787. The mission is no longer an active church, but part of a state park which seeks to accurately replicate mission life.
The 13th of the 21 California missions, founded in 1791.
The 3rd of the 21 California missions, founded in 1771.
The 9th of the 21 California missions, founded in 1782.
The 2nd of the 21 California missions, founded in 1770, and the site of St. Junipero Serra's death. His remains are located southeast of the altar.
The 1st of the 21 California missions, founded in 1769.
The 17th of the 21 California missions, founded in 1797.
The 6th of the 21 California missions, founded in 1776.
The 21st of the 21 California missions, founded in 1823. The mission only remained so for 11 years before being secularized. The Bear Flag Revolt of June 14, 1816 occurred directly across from the mission, declaring California a republic. Today the mission is part of a public park.
The 4th of the 21 California missions, founded in 1771.
The 14th of the 21 California missions, founded in 1797.
The 15th of the 21 California missions, founded in 1797.
The 7th of the 21 California missions, founded in 1776.
The 5th of the 21 California missions, founded in 1772.
The 18th of the 21 California missions, founded in 1798. It is attached to the Franciscan community of the same name.
The 16th of the 21 California missions, founded in 1797.
The 20th of the 21 California missions, founded in 1817.
The 10th of the 21 California missions, founded in 1786.
The 8th of the 21 California missions, founded in 1777.
The 12th of the 21 California missions, founded in 1791.
The 19th of the 21 California missions, founded in 1804. In 1924 the Capucin Friars were given responsibility of this mission.
Bl. Stanley Rother completed his studies at Mount Saint Mary's Seminary and was ordained a priest on May 25, 1963.
Originally dedicated to the Sacred Heart, this parish is the oldest in the city of Dallas. The parish merged with Our Lady of Guadalupe in the Little Mexico neighborhood (now Harwood) in 1965, and in 1977 the Cathedral was renamed in honor of Our Lady of Guadalupe. In 2023 the cathedral was elevated to a National Shrine by the US Conference fo Catholic Bishops.
Established in 1914 in response to the flood of Mexican refugees fleeing the anti-Catholic dictatorship in Mexico, this parish was merged with the cathedral in 1965. This gentrified neighborhood was once Little Mexico. All that remains on the site is an image of Our Lady of Gudalaupe. The church was first served by Vincentians, who staffed Holy Trinity, then by the Carmelites. St. Ann's school was located next to the church, and the building still stands today, containing a restaurant and a Japanese samaurai collection.
The school was founded in 1905 and the present church, the 5th church in Dallas and the 3rd oldest extant one, was built in 1910. The original 1905 temporary church, later used as a parish hall, stood on the corner of Texas and Floyd and was extant in 2009, though it now appears to be gone. The church was built by the Oblate fathers for the German population. From 1977 to 2007, the buildings were used for St. Andrew Kim Korean parish, until that congregation moved to Farmers Branch. This church is currently not in the possession of the Diocese of Dallas.
Part of the deal when the first parish in Dallas was named Sacred Heart was that the second church would be named in honor of St. Patrick. This parish (which became the third oldest in the Dallas city limits once Oak Cliff was annexed) was located across from City Park. The church was flattened by I-30, and where it once stood is now squarely in the middle of the Canyon.
Original site of St. Paul Sanitarium. The hospital moved to its present location on Harry Hines Blvd in the 1960's, and the original building was razed. The Daughters of Charity continued administration of the hospital until it was sold around the year 2000. Today it is part of UT Southwestern.
Original site of Holy Trinity College, the Vincentian college. The school was later renamed to Dallas University/University of Dallas. The school closed in 1929 and its charter was reused for the current University of Dlalas. The building later housed Jesuit Prepatory School until it moved next to St. Rita and this building was sadly razed.
Original site of Ursuline Academy and the Ursuline Convent. It is unclear why this building was demolished.
Benedictine abbey in the Solesmes Congregation, founded in 1999. The main church and abbey are still under construction. Men visiting the abbey can join the monks for meals and manual work in addition to Mass and the Divine Office. Women can also make retreats at the house on the abbey grounds.
Basilica dedicated to Our Lady of Victory, built by Venerable Nelson Baker. His body is kept in the basilica, within the grotto shrine to Our Lady of Lourdes. The grotto is made out of lava rock from Mount Vesuvius.
A miraculous crucifix appearing in a field resulted in the construction of a chapel on this spot. The hole where the crucifix appeared is said to contain dirt that has healing properties similar to the water at Lourdes. Hundreds of thousands of pilgrims visit the shrine annually, which, according to Catholic World Report, makes it the most popular pilgrimage site in the United States.
Built on the site of the Mohawk village of Ossernenon, where Sts. Isaac Jogues, Rene Goupil, and Jean de Lalande were martyred, and where St. Kateri Tekakwitha was born.
Founded by the Rt. Rev. Edward Joseph Dunne, bishop of Dallas, on Oct. 13, 1903, as the fourth parish in Dallas (Oak Cliff had just been annexed, so Blessed Sacrament was now in the Dallas city limits). The name of the parish and the name of the bishop are not coincidence. The founding pastor was the Rev. Joseph P. Lynch, who had been a priest for just 3 years. Within a few years he would become bishop of Dallas.
Oldest Catholic church in Arkansas, originally built on a barge in the Arkansas River in 1782 to combat the threat of flooding by the river. The cemetery behind the church is the final resting place for Mother Agnes Hart, a nun whose body was later found to be incorrupt.
The first black parish in Dallas, founded in 1905, is now home to the area's Polish community.